​A former Melbourne Anglican priest and choirmaster, who towards the end of his life joined the Serbian Orthodox Church, has died in South Australia.

The Very Revd Archpriest Ambrose Trevor Jackson (aka Father Trevor)  was born in Melbourne on 10 December 1935 and was baptised at the Anglican Church of the Epiphany, Northcote. 

He attended Ivanhoe Grammar School, completed a Bachelor of Arts at Melbourne University and a Diploma in Theology at the Australian College of Theology. 

Fr Ambrose was very musical and he was a Foundation Member of the Tudor Choristers and the Gregorian Society. 

He was organist and choirmaster in various Anglican Churches for more than 20 years, including Christ Church Brunswick, St Cuthbert’s East Brunswick, St Anselm’s Middle Park and St Silas’ North Balwyn.

He taught History and English for 20 years at various schools including Ivanhoe Grammar School from 1957-1965 (with two years in London from 1959-1960) and became Headmaster of Craighead Anglican Diocesan School, Timaru, New Zealand, from 1975-1982.

He was ordained in the Anglican Church in NZ in 1980 then returned to Australia in 1983 and was School Chaplain at Mentone Girls Grammar School for six years then Senior Chaplain at Brighton Grammar School for 12 years until his retirement in 2000.  

As an Associate Priest from 1980-2000, he assisted in various Anglican churches including St Peter’s Murrumbeena, Holy Nativity Hughesdale, St James East St Kilda and All Saints Kooyong. 

In 2001, he became Rector and Rural Dean of Strathalbyn, South Australia, where he was a Canon of The Murray, Member of Diocesan Council and Chairman of Examining Chaplains. 

Fr Ambrose was also experienced in Iconography and was Director of the Icon School of St Peter (St Peter’s Eastern Hill) for three years and Director of the Icon School of St Andrew and St Lazarus (at St Peter’s Murrumbeena) for seven years. 

One of his major accomplishments was the Icon of Our Lady of Yankalilla, South Australia.  He established the Icon School of St Luke at the Parish of Strathalbyn and continued to direct it in his retirement.

Fr Ambrose retired from Strathalbyn in 2008 and was received into the Orthodox Church together with his wife Margaret and son Patrick. 

He was made a Priest in the Serbian Orthodox Church in 2010 and an Archpriest in 2012.  He was one of only three Anglicans to have been ordained in the Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia.

Fr Ambrose died peacefully in Sash Ferguson Aged Care in Mount Barker, SA, on 4 August 2012 after a short period of palliative care due to cancer. 

The Funeral Vigil Service was held at St Sava’s Woodville Park, Adelaide conducted by Bishop Nikandros of the Greek Orthodox Church.  The homily was preached by Father Peter Hill of the Russian Orthodox Church.

The Funeral Liturgy was celebrated by Bishop Irinej, Bishop of the Serbian Metropolitanate of Australia and NZ in the church of St Alypius the Stylite, at St Sava’s Monastery, Elaine, Victoria.  

Clergy and people from many different churches attended the funeral services including Serbian, Greek, Russian, Antiochian, Romanian, Coptic, Roman and Anglican.

Fr Ambrose is survived by his wife, Margaret, his children Samela, Bridget and Patrick, and three grandchildren.  

Father Ambrose will always be remembered by many people as a man of great faith, love, gentleness and genuine kindness, a true man of God and a true soldier for Christ. 

Margaret Jackson is Fr Ambrose’s widow.
 

 Related news