How to make a complaint

The Anglican Diocese of Melbourne takes all complaints of misconduct very seriously. This information is intended to help you if you wish to make a complaint, have been or are being abused or harassed by clergy or Church officers, including Regional Bishops, in the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne.

Victorian law provides that any adult with information on child sexual abuse must tell  the Police:  Crimes Act 1958, s327.

If you wish to make a complaint about the Archbishop of Melbourne, please refer to Episcopal Standards.

Kooyoora Ltd has been appointed by the Melbourne Diocese to respond to all complaints of misconduct including sexual, physical, spiritual or emotional abuse by clergy or Church officers. Kooyoora Ltd is an independent Professional Standards company which undertakes Professional Standards work for non for profit charitable entities.

The first step in making a complaint is to call the recorded information line at any time on:

1800 135 246

All information provided to this service is strictly confidential. The person taking a message on this number will ask you to give a name and your phone number or address so that the Director can contact you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can write to the Director:

Director of Professional Standards
Kooyoora Ltd
PO Box 329
Canterbury VIC 3126

Mark your envelope Confidential

The aim is to solve complaints as quickly as possible. There are different ways of dealing with complaints - informally, formally or referring the matter to another Church professional standards body or to a child protection authority or to the Police.

If the formal process as outlined in the Professional Standards Uniform Act 2016 is used, the Director advises the Professional Standards Committee who investigates the matter. The Kooyoora Protocol for responding to complaints of misconduct guides the process.

If the Committee believes that the conduct or the subject of the complaint, if established, would call into question the fitness for ministry of the Church worker, it must refer the matter to the Professional Standards Board for deliberation. The Board must determine whether the complaint is proven and, if so, may make recommendations to the Church authority as to what action should be taken against the Church worker. The Church authority is given specific power to give effect to recommendations of the Board and Review Board on a complaint.



The documents on this page represent the body of legislation, protocols and codes which govern ethical and professional standards in the Melbourne Diocese.


 Inquiry into child abuse


 Professional standards legislation