The Registrar of the Diocese, Mr Michael Urwin from July 2019, is accountable to the Archbishop and through the Archbishop to the Synod.
The Registrar provides high level organisation and strategic support to the ministry of the Archbishop and Assistant Bishops (the Episcopal leadership) and supports them in the implementation of the Diocesan Vision and Strategic Plan. The Registrar also discharges the statutory functions reposed in that office holder under Synod legislation.
The Registrar supervises registry staff in the Registry Office and liaises with Anglican parishes, congregations and agencies within the Diocese of Melbourne. He or she liaises with external stakeholders, government, consultants and senior leaders on behalf of the Archbishop.
On behalf of the Archbishop, the Registrar administers the licensing regime of the diocese and liaises with the Kooyoora Office of Professional Standards on clearances for ministry and education processes of the Diocese, including the maintenance of appropriate confidential records within Diocesan Office of licences, marriage celebrant registration, authorities and faculties.
The CEO of the Diocesan Corporation
The business services of the Diocese are provided under the leadership of Mr Ken Spackman, the CEO of the Melbourne Anglican Diocesan Corporation Ltd (the MADC). He previously served as both Registrar of the Diocese and Manager of Business Services.
The Diocesan Corporation was incorporated in 2015 pursuant to the Melbourne Anglican Diocesan Corporation Act 2015, with the following functions
- To serve as the employer of employees in the Diocese.
- To serve as the legal appointor and, for WorkCover purposes, the deemed employer of clergy.
- To exercise other functions conferred by various Acts of Synod, including the retainer of the professional standards company, Kooyoora Ltd.
- To be the responsible legal entity for claims against the diocese arising from misconduct of its Church workers, including claims for redress or damages.
It has further special responsibilities in the following areas–
• Leave management and leave payment
• Workers’ compensation and other accident insurance
• Occupational health and safety
• Return to work
• Taxation, superannuation
Business Services staff
Mr Ken Spackman
Chief Executive Officer (MADC)
Ms Nerine Draper
Executive Assistant to Chief Executive Officer (MADC)
Tel: (03) 9653 4220
Mr Peter Munns
Chief Financial Officer
Finance / Anglican Funds / Anglican Development Funds
Mr Matthew Wilson
Chief Operating Officer
Property & Risk / IT
Ms Hacy Tobias
Human Resources Director
Human Resources / Payroll